Good Food When We Needed It…
Our canvas bag pantry in the trunk was filling up with some gourmet odds and ends from all of the meals we cooked for my family and friends along the way, so we decided to stop in the middle of nowhere (Floodwood, Minnesota) after an especially cranky couple of days topping off our 1500 mile mark of the trip.
This lunch helped bring me back to feeling that life is good. It is served warm, and comes out a golden yellow from the saffron.
Orzo Chickpea Stew with Saffron and Bri Cheese
- 2 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- dried oregano
- pinch of saffron, pre soak in a little bit of warm water)
- 3 parsley stalks, pull leaves off whole
- 1 dried chili
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup orzo (we used tri colored)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Saute the shallots, garlic, oregano and dried chili. Add the saffron and water. Cook a few minutes and add chickpeas.
- Cook orzo and drain. Add all ingredients together and wait a minutes for the cheese to cream things up.
The best rest stop lunch I have ever had…